Search This Blog

13 November 2008

My Maid of Honor is also My Psychic

When Dave and I found out we were pregnant, we kept the news to ourselves for quite some time. We really wanted to make sure that everything was alright with the baby and spend a little "us" time privately celebrating.

The day after I took my at-home pregnancy test, my good friend Michele called me. The first thing out of her mouth was, "Are you pregnant?" I was caught COMPLETELY off guard. I knew it would be difficult for Dave and me to keep the news to ourselves, but I certainly hadn't thought of the possibility of someone 3,000 miles away calling me out on it! I did my best to act like I had no idea what she was talking about and asked her why she was asking me that. Michele's response? "I had a dream that you were pregnant...are you?" Again, I tried to just laugh it off.
When she moved out to California a month later, David and I had been to the doctor and knew that to that point things were going well with the pregnancy. We decided that we would tell her the first night that she stayed with us. We made fajitas for dinner and I threw together a batch of margaritas. Dave poured two glasses and announced that I wouldn't be drinking one because we were going to have a baby. Michele was so excited and one of the first things she said was, "You're having a girl." She has been consistent with that prediction throughout the entire pregnancy.

Michele went with us to our ultrasound appointment and I had to warn her that she might have to take the doctor's word if she told us that we were having a boy. Michele issued me a warning of her own, "The doctor won't say that because you are having a girl. Trust me on this."

And...she was RIGHT!! Within the first 30 to 45 seconds the doctor announced without warning, "It's a girl!"* (Thank goodness it only took that long because I was anxious to find out before we got in there.) I know I was squeezing the heck out of David's hand (and he better get used to it because I know I will be crushing his fingers during labor) through the whole ultrasound. It was absolutely incredible watching our little Peanut punching and kicking. The doctor did the whole anatomy screening and said that EVERYTHING looked wonderful. She is right on target for growth and development....which is what we wanted more than either a little girl or a little boy. We knew we would be happy with either. David is so thrilled and even got a little choked up last night when we were talking about it.

I left early this morning for Arizona and had only told my parents that the ultrasound appointment checked out fine. My mom and brother picked me up from the airport and I came off the plane wearing a pink t-shirt that says "All Girl." The expression on my mom's face was priceless! I know it would have been the same if I had worn the blue "All Boy" shirt, but it was so amazing for me to be able to see that reaction in person. My dad was playing in a golf tournament and probably called about 6 times trying to get my mom to spill the beans. His prediction (because he is not psychic) was that we were having a boy. His smile was just as huge as my mom's when he saw me in my t-shirt.

Our little baby girl is due on April 12th...Easter Sunday. (You'll have to ask David his theory on that one.) Michele, what's your prediction on the due date??

"Yoga Baby" Michelson at 18 1/2 weeks. Look how she can touch her knees to her nose!


Me this morning (in my pink tee) at 4 months pregnant. Most people can't tell I am even pregnant...I guess they think I always look like I've eaten a large pizza and two orders of breadsticks!

*The doctor has told us that she can tell us with 99.99% accuray that we are having a girl. We know that there is a small possibility that the ultrasound could be off...but with a psychic as a best friend, I think we are in the clear!

12 comments:

Lauren said...

You have no idea how happy I am! I've been rooting for "team estrogen" from the very beginning!!! :)

PS: You are super duper adorable pregnant. And YES, I can tell you're having a real baby and not just a "burger baby".

XOXO- Lauren

Unknown said...

AMANDA!

you better call me ASAP! i need details from your life and more on this little baby you have growing inside of you.

i am so excited for you and dave. you are going to be such great parents.

much love,
cupid

nikianna said...

Wooo hooooo!
I knew it! You look absolutely adorable pregnant, and yes, you look prego- not just full 'o food :)
Have fun in Arizona and let's get together soon.
~Niki

Heather said...

Hey Amanda,
You are going to have SO much fun with a little girl -- I am so happy for you both! Can't wait to see that belly of yours in person!
About the "psychic" thing - I believe Mike & I called this pregnancy BEFORE your marriage!:)
Can't wait to talk to you - I want details, names, etc.!
Love, Heather

Irma said...

Congratulations! Peter and I are so looking forward to welcoming our first granddaughter! Wow...so exciting.

Marissa said...

My boys LOVE little girls! Mister was so adamant that he wanted a little sister when I was pregnant with Pumpkin that I had a hard time getting him used to the idea of a brother for quite some time. He'll be thrilled too! I think maybe he's still a little confused though - when I told him you had a baby girl in your tummy he pulled up his shirt and told me he wanted a baby girl in his tummy too, just like Auntie Amanda. Funny boy. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Mom Cooper said...

Wow this will be my first granddaughter too....wait she will be my first grandchild. I think there is a special bond between a grandmother and her granddaughter and I am anxiously awaiting her arrival. I love her so much already.

Mom C.

miss k said...

Congratulations!

love,
kristen, brian and chevy

Trish said...

Amanda,

I am so happy you are in the pink:) I am not psychic by any means, but I really thought you would have a baby girl. I am happy she is healthy. You definitely have that glow about you. You are absolutely beautiful!

Love ya,

Trish

PS When I read what your momma wrote I teared up, she is going to be an awesome grandma!

Luzita Michele said...

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey!!!! I am so happy that it is really a girl. My dreams have litteraly come true!! You and Dave will be awesome parents!!

mike said...

As a father of a girl (Kelsey) (18 going on 2 (yes I mean two!)), I have some thoughts to share. Enjoy the ride! The UPS and DOWNS are really intense. You CAN find pleasure in Little Mermaid and you CAN learn to cry on cue watching Bambi and Homeward Bound. She will always be your "little girl" and you will always be "daddy". You will soon learn that you are not the "all knowing" daddy during one of your trips to the drugstore. (There isn't just one kind of rampon, but thousands! They're color coded, too!) You will want to make arrangements for a government bailout NOW, because when you hear "daddy" in that sweet voice it will be followed by "I NEED these $250 dollar jeans". But I wouldn't change by life for anything, because I love my "little girl" with all my heart!

Amanda said...

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! We are so thankful that so many people are as excited as we are!

For those of you I haven't had a chance to talk to yet - I will give you a call next week when I return to California.

Mike - I will pass your post on to David. I know that within the first few days, our little one will have him wrapped around her little finger! Sometimes, when I tell him "Kelsey stories" he says, "Are you sure we want a girl?" but you know she is amazing! She has already called to say how excited she is to be an "aunt"...Are you ready to be a "grandpa"???