Search This Blog

05 November 2010

To Wean or Not To Wean, That is the Question

So, David is putting Olivia to sleep tonight and I am literally sitting as far away as possible while still being in our house...just in case she can smell me.  No, that's not true, it's because I don't want to hear her if she cries.  I have a feeling in the next few weeks there are going to be lots of tears and if I can excuse myself from a few, I'll be a much happier Mommy.  Yes, Olivia is almost 19 months old and I am still nursing her three times a day.

I honestly never expected to still be nursing her at this point.  I thought that at a year, we would taper off and be done by the time she was 14 months old.  And, somewhere along the way, 14 months turned into 19 months.  There are times that I have wanted to throw up my hands and say, I hoped you enjoyed that feeding, Sweet Baby, because you are DONE!  No more twiddling, no more bobbing on and off, and no more pulling my top down for all of Target to see!  But, then we would have a sweet cuddle session and all would be right with the breastfeeding world.  But, seriously, the time has come where we need to stop.  We are leaving for Hawaii in a little over a month and I would really like to be done by then.   There are enough boobs in Hawaii - mine don't need to be exposed there!

So, wish us luck.  Say a little prayer for us.  I'm honestly not sure who will be having a more difficult time with this - me or Olivia.  From the sounds of it now, maybe her.

In the meantime, I have a stack of Scrabble, Memory, Guess Who? and Yahtzee! from my school box of games to keep us occupied in the playroom behind closed doors.

Happy Friday from the Central Coast!

1 comment:

Mom Cooper said...

I know it won't be easy for either of you (or Dave for that matter), but once you start you have to stick with it or you will be sending mixed signals and it will take twice as long to get the job done. Good luck to you all. I will say some prayers for an easy transition.